1 white onion, coarsely chopped.
1 carrot coarsely chopped.
1/2 garlic clove, coarsely chopped.
1 leek .white part only, coarsely chopped.
2 1/4 pounds (1 kg) fresh pork flank.
1 teaspoon (5 ml) + 1 tablespoon (15 ml) butter or oil About 2 cups (500 ml) chicken stock.
Salt and pepper to taste.
2 teaspoons (10 ml) Shou Pu er tea.
1 cup (250 mi) Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and rinsed in clean water.
Salt, to taste.
Scant 1/4 cup (50 ml) heavy cream (36%).
Pinch ground cloves.
1/2 cup (125 ml) chicory.
2 star anise.
1 teaspoon (5 ml) soy lecithin (available at natural food stores).
1. Spread the vegetables in a shallow roasting pan. Set aside.
2. Remove the skin from the pork flank. In a hot skillet heat 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of butter or oil and brown the meat on all sides. Arrange the meat on top of the vegetables. Add enough chicken stock to almost cover the meat, taking care not to cover it completely. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, uncovered, in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 90 minutes.
3. After 90 minutes, wrap the Pu er tea in cheesecloth. Close tightly with butchers string and place in the stock. Cover the roasting pan and continue to cook for another 90 minutes. (If cooked uncovered, the crust that forms on the meat will be too hard.)
4. Once the meat is cooked, flatten it between two pie plates so that it looks like a slice of bacon. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. To serve, cube the meat and reheat it, uncovered, in the cooking stock.
7. To prepare the chicory emulsion, bring a pot of water to a boil. Remove from the heat, add the chicory and star anise and leave to infuse for 15 minutes. Pour the emulsion through a chinois (cone shaped sieve) and blend in the lecithin. Remove the foam that forms on the surface.
8. Arrange pieces of meat and diced Jerusalem artichokes in serving dishes. Add a spoonful of chicory emulsion.
SUGGESTED TEA PAIRINGS:
• Autumn Flush Darjeeling